Saturday, October 29, 2011

Genres or Authors

Do you read genres, or authors? I've always followed authors. If I find a story I like, I'll check out whatever else they've written, regardless of genre.

Admittedly, I read few new authors. I'm speaking of folks such as G. K. Chesterton, C. S. Lewis, William Heyliger, L. M. Montgomery, and George MacDonald. In their case, I consider the author to be the genre, in which no one else can write. My attitude is, "Surprise me!" Sometimes reading their lesser-known works can be disappointing, but often it's not.

Finding that kind of author is a pleasure, and I'm hoping to be that kind of author.

1 comment:

  1. I tend to stick with a genre, but read out of it on occasion. I definitely follow authors as well, but my favorite genres are usually YA and middle grade fiction (the good stuff, not the shoddy paranormal crap they try to feed teens these days. :P I am not a big fan of paranormal romance at all.) I also love adult titles, as long as they don't stray too far into what is unacceptable to me and my faith.

    When I follow authors, it's usually because I first found an interesting book that I liked in the genre I follow. After that, I keep an eye out for further books by that author. Good examples of my favorite (modern day) authors are Jill Williamson and Donita K. Paul (in christian fiction), and Rick Riordin, Tamora Pierce, Cornelia Funke, and Terry Brooks (in regular fiction). ^_^

    ReplyDelete